Appen Media Group sweeps national contest
Appen Media Group recently took home 30 awards from the Association of Free Community Newspapers annual contest.
Over 1,400 individual entries were judged in 90 categories, including ads, editorial content, social media, special sections, media kit and self-promotion.
Appen Media again took home a slew of awards including 10 first place, nine second place, six third place and five honorable mentions.
“I am thrilled that a contest of AFCP’s caliber has recognized so many on staff with these honors. It’s a reflection of their tireless work in 2018 and I couldn’t be more proud,” said General Manager Hans Appen. “For our readers, and our advertisers, it should reaffirm that they are working with true professionals who care deeply about the product we deliver.”
Senior Designer of Ad Development David Brown once again led the charge with eight awards, including three first-place awards.
“I’ve heard that there is no greater praise than that of your peers,” Brown said. “The Association of Free Community Papers is a national organization of just that — peers. So when we enter our work each year, it is uplifting to know that work is acknowledged as some of the best nationally. Each award is a reflection of the hard work from our administration, sales and production. We also owe a great deal of thanks to our dedicated readers and customers.”
AFCP represents publishers of community papers across the United States, reaching millions of homes on a weekly, biweekly or monthly basis.
AFCP’s members are owners, publishers, general managers and sales managers of free-circulation community publications throughout North America.
Its membership ranges from small, independently owned publications with circulations less than 5,000 up to divisions of major communications companies publishing millions of copies every week.
The common denominator among AFCP’s membership is that all publications are distributed free-of-charge to the readers in their designated circulation areas.
Appen Media Group awards from AFCP
• 2nd Place Original Writing Opinion
• 1st Place Original Writing News Article
• 2nd Place Best Use of Social Media
• 3rd Place Original Writing Opinion
• 3rd Place Community Service Article
• 2nd Place Original Writing Column to Entertain
• 3rd Place Original Writing News Article
• Honorable Mention Original Writing Feature Article
• 1st Place Original Editorial Photo, Newsprint
• 2nd Place Original Writing News Article
• 3rd Place Original Writing Sports Article
• 2nd Place Community Service Article
• 2nd Place Original Writing Feature Article
• Honorable Mention Community
• 1st Place Grocery/Liquor Ad, Newsprint
• 1st Place Use of Art/Photo Service
• 1st Place Self Promotion Ad, Contests
• 2nd Place Self Promotion Ad, Awards
• 2nd Place Self Promotion Ad, Classifieds
• 3rd Place Single Ad up to 6 in., Color, Newsprint
• 3rd Place Single Ad 6-12in., Color, Gloss
• Honorable Mention Food and Drink Ad, Newsprint
• 1st Place Original Illustration / Digital Art
• 1st Place Online Presentation Multimedia
• 1st Place Website, Mobile
• 3rd Place Website, Desktop
• 3rd Place Cover, Gloss Paper Magazine Format
• Honorable Mention General Excellence, Weekly 26% or More Editorial
• 1st Place Most Improved Publication 26% or More Editorial
• 1st Place General Excellence Monthly, Gloss
• 2nd Place Banner or Nameplate, Gloss, Heavyweight Paper
• 2nd Place Andrew E Shapiro Cancer Awareness
• Honorable Mention Feature Article Layout, Magazine